Protein Energy Fruit and Nut Balls - Ladoo recipe suitable for fasting
Today, I will share with you a recipe for Protein Energy Fruit and Nut Balls also known as 'Ladoo' also spelt 'Laddu'. There are many different ladoo recipes but today I will concentrate on showing you how to make a salt-free ladoo which is suitable to keep your energy levels up while fasting. Many Hindus will eat this to sustain their energy for religious fasts, celebrations and special festivals.
(makes 20 protein energy balls)
150g ghee / clarified butter
250g dried dates (broken up into small pieces)
60g granulated sugar
340g ground almonds
75g dried figs (finely chopped)
1. On a low heat in a saucepan, heat the ghee until it becomes a liquid.
2. Once the ghee is hot, add in the dried dates and stir in the dates until they start to really soften.
3. Add in the sugar and stir well.
4. Add in the ground almonds and stir until the mixture is well combined. Keep the saucepan on a low heat throughout the cooking process.
5. Finally, add in the dried figs and make sure that all the mixture comes together into one mass.
6. Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool enough (say for 5 minutes) so that it is still warm when you hold it in the palm of your hands. You should be able to roll small amounts of the mixture into 3 to 4cm diameter balls.
7. Roll the mixture into even sized balls and leave them in a plate too cool completely.
So there you have it! Delicious ladoo / protein energy balls to satiate your appetite.
'Til next time ... enjoy!
Bon appetit! xx