Cauliflower and Potato Curry or Gobi Aloo Subze/ Phoolevar Bataka nu Shaak
Today, I will be sharing with you the recipe for Cauliflower and Potato Curry, also known as Gobi Aloo Subze in Hindi and Phoolevar Bataka nu Shaak in Gujarati. Admittedly, it is not my favourite dish but this recipe is a great way to spice up boring old boiled cauliflower!
The final dish (Cauliflower and Potato Curry):
(serves 2 to 3 people)
1 medium sized, whole cauliflower (washed thoroughly)
3 medium sized potatoes (washed and preferably peeled)
4 big tbsps sunflower oil
2 tsps cumin seeds
1 tsp fresh ginger (grated)
1 tsp garlic (grated)
1 level tsp fresh, green chillies (ground)
1.5 tsps salt
0.5 tsp turmeric powder
0.5 tsp cumin-coriander powder
2 tbsps cold water
chopped coriander to garnish (optional)
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil on a high heat.
2. Add in the cumin seeds.
3. Once the cumin seeds become golden brown, turn down the heat to a medium heat.
4. Add in the potatoes. They should be about 3mm thick. Prepare them as follows:
5. Stir well and then add in the ginger, garlic, chillies, salt, turmeric powder and the cumin-coriander powder. Stir well again.
6. Turn down the heat to a low heat and cook the potatoes until they are half cooked. You should be able to stick a knife into the potatoes, though the knife may not come back out of the pierced potato so easily. Add in an extra teaspoon of sunflower oil at this stage if you feel that the potatoes are rather dry. It should look like this:
7. Add in the prepared cauliflower. It should be prepared as follows:
8. Mix the cauliflower into the spiced potatoes in the saucepan properly:
9. Leave to cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes until you see a light, steam-like vapour in the saucepan.
10. Add in the water and cook on a low heat with the saucepan covered for 10 to 15 minutes until the cauliflower and potatoes are fully cooked or until the cauliflower is cooked to your taste, stirring occasionally.
11. This dish is now ready to serve. It can be eaten with chapatis, naan bread or rice.
So there you have it! I hope you will try this recipe and let me know how yours' turns out...
'Til the next time ... enjoy!
Bon appetit! xx