Good day Gujarati Food Made Easy lovers!
Today, I will be putting up the recipe for fine green beans, Gujarati style otherwise known as Fansi nu Shaak. This is a very simple yet tasty dish and a perfect accompaniment to any meal or a light meal in itself.
Here is a picture of the end result:
For the tarka:
3 tbsps sunflower oil
1 tsp ajwain/carom seeds
500g fine green beans (washed and cut into 0.5cm pieces)
2 cloves garlic (grated)
0.25 tsp turmeric powder
0.5 tsp cumin-corander powder (available from your local Indian grocery store)
0.5 tsp green chillies (ground)
1 tsp salt
2 tbsps warm water
1. In a large, non-stick saucepan, heat the oil on a fairly high heat.
2. Add in the carom seeds and let them cook until golden brown.
3. Add in the green beans and stir well.
4. Add in the rest of the ingredients in the above order and stir well.
5. Cover the saucepan with a lid and let it cook on a medium heat for about 10 minutes.
6. Check the beans are cooked according to how al dente or how soft you like them and serve hot either as a side dish to a main meal or as a main meal with either Basmati rice or chapatis.
So there you are, Fansi nu Shaak - give it a go and let me know how you liked it!
'Til next week, friends ... enjoy!
Bon appétit! xx