Good day Gujarati Food Made Easy enthusiasts!
This recipe is the Gujarati take on vegetable rice; a healthy, nutritious, vegetable base with a spicy zing. Give it a try! :)
Here is a picture of the final product:
(serves 4 people)
1 mug of rice (washed well)
2 mugs of hot water
1 small potato (cubed into 0.5cm squares)
1 small carrot (cubed into 0.5cm squares)
Half a medium sized onion (cubed into 0.5cm squares)
5 full big tbsps petit pois (washed from frozen)
4 big florets broccoli (cut into 1cm cubed)
1 tsp butter
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tbsp cumin seeds
0.5 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
0.5 tsp cumin-coriander powder
1 level tbsp salt
1 tsp fresh, ground, green chillies
1 tsp fresh, grated ginger
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil and the butter together on a high heat.
2. Once the butter is melted, add in the cumin seeds and roast them until they pop.
3. Add in the onions and sauté them until translucent.
4. Add in the potatoes and carrots and sauté for 5 minutes, still on a high heat.
5. Add in the broccoli and the peas and mix them in with the rest of the vegetables.
6. Add in the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt, cumin-coriander powder, green chillies and the ginger.
7. Mix well and cover the saucepan for 2 minutes.
8. Open the saucepan and add in the washed rice as well as the hot water.
9. Bring the water to a boil (still on the high heat) and then once the water is bubbling, turn the hob down to a low heat and leave to simmer for 10 to 12 minutes (with the saucepan lid on throughout) until the rice is cooked.
10. Serve hot and garnish with coriander if you so wish.
This dish can be served on its own or with lentils as well.
So there you have it, vegetable rice! Please enjoy and do let me know how yours turned out!
'Til next week...
Bon appétit! xx