Dear Gujarati Food Made Easy Lovers!
I hope you are having a super start to this week as today is after all a Bank Holiday! :) Happy Easter to those of you who celebrate!
We had a roast dinner on Saturday night and for that, I made Spicy Roast Potatoes. It's a simple but delicious recipe that has been handed down from my grandmother to my mother, and from her to me. And what better accompaniment to spice up your traditional Sunday Roast?
Here is a picture of the final dish:
Ok so friends, here is the recipe:
8 potatoes (washed, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubed type pieces)
1 heaped tbsp green chillies (ground)
3 inches of ginger (washed, peeled and grated)
2 level tbsps salt
7 tbsps sunflower oil (or enough to coat the potatoes)
0.25 tsp turmeric powder
enough sunflower oil to coat the baking tray
1. Place the potatoes in a dish.
2. Add in all the other ingredients in the order listed and mix very well so that the potato cubes are evenly coated.
3. Place the potatoes in a large baking tray coated with oil and spread the potatoes out evenly.
5. Open the oven and move the potatoes about in the baking tray so that they don's stick to the bottom.
6. Turn the heat down to 180 degrees centigrade and cook for a further 15 minutes on the middle shelf.
7. Again open the oven and move the potatoes around so that they do not stick. They should be cooked by now.
8. Cook the potatoes for a further 5 minutes on a medium to high heat under the grill to give them the crispiness you require.
9. Take the potatoes out from under the grill and leave them to stand for 5 minutes in the baking tray. They are now ready to serve as a great side dish to any meal.
So there you have it!
'Til next time… enjoy!
Bon appétit! xx