Good evening Gujarati Food Made Easy lovers!
This week's recipe is Stir-fried Cabbage otherwise known as Cobis nu Shaak.
Being a Friday evening, I wanted something quick and easy to eat before I went out to meet friends and started my weekend!
So this is what I made:
It's healthy and full of nutrients - Cabbage Stir Fry, otherwise known as Kobi Sabje/Subze in Hindi or Cobis nu Shaak in Gujarati. I have used Sweetheart Cabbage in this recipe because, to me, it's sweeter and seems to have more water content than other types of cabbage but any cabbage can be used.
For the tarka:
1.5 tbsp sunflower oil
0.75 tsp cumin seeds
0.25 tsp mustard seeds
Half a Sweetheart Cabbage (washed well and shredded)
0.5 tsp cumin-coriander powder (available from your local, Indian, grocery store)
0.5 tsp turmeric powder
0.25 tsp red chilli powder
0.5 tsp grated garlic
0.25 tsp green chillies (fresh and ground)
1 level tsp salt (and add more after serving if not enough, to taste)
1. In a large saucepan or wok, heat the oil on a high heat.
2. Add in the mustard seeds (optional) and cumin seeds and roast until the cumin seeds start to turn golden brown and the mustard seeds start to pop.
3. Add in the cabbage and give it a good stir.
4. Add in the rest of the ingredients in the order listed above and mix well until the cabbage is well coated with all the spices.
5. Cook the cabbage on a medium high heat for 3 minutes, gently stirring almost continuously.
6. Serve the Cobis nu Shaak while hot and eat immediately with rotis/chapatis (Indian flat bread) or naan breads.
So there you have it, Stir-fried Cabbage or Cobis/Cabbage nu Shaak! :) Enjoy and let me know how yours turns out!
'Til next week, friends! ...