Hello Gujarati Food Lovers!
This week's recipe is Aubergine/Eggplant and Peas/Petits Pois Curry.
Here is a picture of the dish all ready and served on a bed of rice:
I trust you all had a super Easter Holiday weekend, I certainly did! Lunch and coffee with friends followed by a spot of shopping on Saturday, then on Sunday, a relaxed day at home as well as a pot of coffee shared with friends, good conversation, laughter and giggles at their place!
The mini holiday over, it's time to get back to more serious issues on the agenda: Quality food! :)
Aubergines are a very popular vegetable among the Gujarati people as it is a very versatile vegetable to cook with. So on that note, today, I am going to show you how to make Aubergine/Eggplant and Peas Curry, otherwise known as Baingan Muttar nu Shaak in Gujarati.
3.5 large tbsps sunflower oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
0.25 tsp mustard seeds
1 aubergine (washed and cubed into inch squares)
6 large tbsps petits pois/peas (washed from frozen)
2 large heaped tbsps chopped tomatoes (either fresh or canned)
0.25 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin - coriander powder (available from your local, Indian, grocery store)
0.25 tsp red chilli powder
1 clove garlic (grated)
0.5 tsp ginger (fresh and grated)
0.25 tsp green chillies (ground)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp natural yogurt
0.25 tsp sugar
160 mls/ 1 glass water (cold or warm)
1 large tbsp coriander (chopped)
1. Pour the oil into a small pressure cooker and turn the hob onto a high heat.
2. Once the oil has heated up, add in the cumin seeds and the mustard seeds.
3. Once they start to go golden brown and start to pop, add in the aubergine and stir well.
4. Add in all the other ingredients in the order stated above apart from the coriander and close the pressure cooker pot tight.
5. Leaving the heat on a high heat all the while and cook the aubergine and peas curry until the pressure cooker sounds 2 whistles. If you like it a little softer, cook until you hear 3 whistles.
6. Once this is done, turn off the hob and leave the pressure cooker to release all the internal pressure.
7. Safely open the pressure cooker, mix well and the curry is ready to serve.
8. Garnish with coriander and serve. It can be eaten with rice, chapatis or naan breads.
9. Enjoy hot! :)
So there you have it, Aubergine/Eggplant and Peas Curry or Baingan Muttar nu Shaak! Give it a go and let me know how it turned out! :) Any questions, just shoot me an email.
Join us for our updates on: www.facebook.com/gujaratifoodmadeeasy
and on twitter: @GujaratiFood
'Til next week, amigos!
Bon appétit! xx