This week's recipe is Sev Tomato nu Shaak otherwise known as Spicy Indian Vermicelli and Tomato Curry.
Here is the final result:
(This recipe serves 2)I am going to show you a recipe that was given to me by my sister-in-law. Sev Tomato nu Shaak is a dish that I had never tried before she and my brother tied the knot, last year.
In fact, today is their one year anniversary, so to celebrate that, here is one of her best recipes.
Happy Anniversary to my little brother and his lovely wife, Seema. :)
1.5 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
4 big tomatoes (fresh, washed and cubed into small cubes)
2 cloves garlic (fresh and grated)
1 inch cubed ginger (fresh and grated)
0.5 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp cumin-coriander powder (available from your local, Indian, grocery store)
0.5 tsp garam masala (available from your local, Indian, grocery store)
3 tbsp coriander (fresh and finely chopped)
enough Sev (spicy, Indian vermicelli available from your local, Indian, grocery store)
0.5 tsp sugar if your tomatoes are somewhat sour
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan on a high heat.
2. Add in the cumin seeds and roast until golden brown.
3. Add in the tomatoes and stir well. Turn down the heat to a medium high heat.
4. Add in the garlic, ginger, turmeric and salt and stir well. Cover the saucepan with its lid and let it cook for 3 minutes.
5. Uncover, stir the mixture well again and add in the red chilli powder, the cumin-coriander powder and the garam masala.
6. Stir continuously for 3 minutes and add in the chopped coriander and again, stir it in well.
7. Cover the saucepan again for about 3 minutes, then take off the lid and let it cook for a further 2 minutes.
This is what it would look like:
8. Empty the contents out onto a plate and sprinkle enough set on top of the tomato curry to cover the top. This will give the curry a crunchy texture.
9. Eat immediately as the sev will start to soften if left too long.
So there you have it, Sev Tomato nu Shaak! Give it a go and let me know if you liked it!
'Til next week, friends ... enjoy!
Love and Namaste!
Bon appétit! xx :)