Good evening Gujarati Food Made Easy lovers!
This week's recipe is Sambharo which is a warm, salad recipe.
It is one my favourites; quick and easy to make - warm, Gujarati salad. A whole load of healthy, crunchy and wholesome goodness! :) M-mmm!!!
Sambharo is a dish that we have been eating since we started chewing as kids; very refreshing and fragrant as well!
Here is a picture of the final result:
So, I hear you saying, where's the recipe? Well, here we go! It serves 4 people...
For the tarka (roasted seasoning):
3 tbsps sunflower oil
0.25 tsp mustard seeds
0.5 tsp cumin seeds
1 pinch asafoetida
One half of a sweetheart cabbage (thinly shredded)
1.5 carrots (cut into thin strips about 3cms long)
0.75 green bell pepper (deseeded and cut into thin strips, about 3cms long)
1 big clove garlic (grated)
3 level tsps salt total (to be added in stages)
0.25 tsp turmeric powder
0.25 tsp red chilli powder
0.25 tsp cumin-coriander powder (available at your local, Indian grocery store)
some warm water
0.5 tsp green chillies (fresh, ground)
2 tbsps lemon juice (preferably fresh but bottled is fine too)
1 tsp sugar
1. Turn the heat up on the hob to medium high and place a wok on the heat.
2. Add in the sunflower oil.
3. Once the oil is heated, add in the mustard seeds, the cumin seeds and the asafoetida.
4. Once the seeds start going golden brown and start to pop, add in the thin strips of carrot. Stir well and let them cook for about 3 minutes.
5. Add in the green bell pepper strips and 1 level tsp salt. Cook for a further 2 minutes to soften.
6. Add in the turmeric, the red chilli powder, the cumin-coriander powder, the garlic, the fresh, green chillies and 1 tbsp warm water and stir well.
7. Add in the cabbage and the 2 level tsps salt remaining. Mix well.
8. Add in the lemon juice and sugar and mix them in well.
9. Turn off the heat and serve while hot.
10. This dish can be eaten on it's own or with chapatis/rotis.
There you are, delicious sambharo... do try it out and enjoy it! Let me know how it goes!
'Til next week, friends!
Bon appétit! xx