Good morning Gujarati Food Made Easy lovers!
Sorry for my absence; it is with great regret and sorrow that I announce the death of my grandmother who was one of the main inspirations of this blog. In her honour, I will continue to share recipes on here to keep her spirit alive.
Today, I am going to be showing you how to make chickpea curry otherwise known as Chana nu Shaak.
Here is a picture of the final result:
2 tbsps sunflower oil
0.5 tsp mustard seeds
0.5 tsp cumin seeds
1.5 onions (cubed)
2 plum tomatoes (chopped from a tin)
2 serving spoons tomato juice
1 tsp ginger (grated)
1 level tsp salt
1 level tsp green chilli (fresh and ground)
0.5 tsp turmeric powder
0.25 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp cumin-coriander powder (available from your local Indian grocery store)
1 tin of jumbo boiled chick peas (400 grams)
1. In a large, non-stick saucepan, heat the oil on a medium-high heat.
2. Add in the mustard seeds and the cumin seeds and toast them in the oil until they are golden brown.
3. Add in the onions and sauté until translucent.
4. Add in everything else in the order listed above and keep stirring as you add in the ingredients.
5. Once the ingredients have formed a semi-thickened sauce, add in the chickpeas and stir in well.
6. Once the whole mixture is heated through, the dish is ready to serve.
7. It can be served with rice or chapatis / rotlis.
So there you have it, Chana nu Shaak/Chickpea Curry - a simple recipe that goes a long way! Do try it out and let me know how you go!
'Til next week, friends... enjoy!
Bon appétit! xx