Dear Gujarati Food Made Easy lovers!
This week's recipe is Khichdi/khichri (rice and lentils).
A very well known, vegetarian, comfort food that is highly satisfying, filling, nutritious, fantastically aromatic and most importantly, tasty!
(serves 3 to 4 people)
(The Khichdi is the rice and lentil mixture at the bottom half of the above picture. The top half is an aubergine and potato curry.)
1/4 mug well washed moong dahl
3/4 mug well washed Basmati rice
2 1/2 mugs of warm water
2 tbsps salt
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp sunflower/vegetable oil
1 tbsp grated ginger
2 big cloves of grated garlic
2 cloves of chopped garlic (into small slices/cubes)
1 tbsp butter
1. Place the moong dahl, the rice and the water into a small pressure cooker and stir well.
2. Turn on the hob to a medium to slightly high heat and place the pressure cooker on the hob.
3. Add all of the other ingredients in the order that I have listed above.
4. Stir well once more.
5. Close the pressure cooker and make sure it is properly sealed.
6. Let the Khichdi cook on the medium to slightly high heat until the pressure cooker whistle sounds twice.
7. Control the heat and watch for spillage that comes up through the pressure cooker. You may need to turn the heat down slightly depending on your pressure cooker.
8. The Khichdi should be cooked once the pressure cooker has sounded twice. Turn of the heat and wait until all the pressure has been released from the cooker. Don't let the whistle go off more than twice otherwise you may end up with a soggy Khichdi!
9. Serve hot.
(Can be eaten with yogurt, chutneys and poppadums as well as a side dish of any vegetable curry.)
'Til next week, friends... enjoy! Let me know how yours turned out!
Bon appétit! xx